I love soap with a story… here is the latest.
We live 2 blocks from salt water, I had been wanting to make a seaweed soap for a while, and I’m on record as loving salt soap- so a soap with ocean-y elements just had to happen. Add to that the context of the recent death of Robin Williams, whom I admired greatly, and my personal journey of processing my emotions in the wake of his and other loved ones’ suicides. I knew I needed to make a statement,
I present my newest soap; her name is O Captain My Captain! Here she is basking in the morning sun.
This soap has been loved and prayed over. Tears were shed. Memories stretched their wings and flew. Call me crazy, but I actually whispered loving secrets to this soap so it could go out in the world and do good. Some people write poetry, or paint, or sing. I make soap.
A portion of the proceeds from this soap will be donated to charities supported by the folks I’ve cried over. It will be in select retail stores and in our online store in late October.
UPDATE: I went ahead and created an Etsy listing for pre-orders: https://www.etsy.com/listing/205394828/o-captain-my-captain-seaweed-sea-salt?
So excited to share some of the upcoming events we have planned. We love, love, love meeting people face to face!
- October 4 – ButterflyFest at the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville. We are planning to create special exclusive butterfly labels for THIS EVENT ONLY!
- October 26 – Ward’s Supermarket 62nd Anniversary Fall Food Festival in Gainesville. Experience the local bounty :)
- November 15 – Crafts and Drafts sponsored by Creative Loafing at the St. Petersburg Shuffleboard Club. Mmmmm, beer.
- November 29 – Small Business Saturday featuring the Tampa Bay Etsy Crew at the Tampa Bay Brewing Company (putting in application today)
- Saturday December 6 – Atomic Holiday Bazaar in Sarasota. You’ll find us in the Bayfront Room!
- Sunday December 7 – GLAM in Gainesville (applied, still waiting to hear)
- Saturday December 13 – Holizaar 7 at Studio 620 in St. Petersburg (wait-listed)
We’re donating half the sales in our Etsy shop for the next 3 days to the indiegogo campaign for Hannah’s Homeless – a local non-profit raising money to open a drop-in center for homeless folks. Whether you live in St. Petersburg or not, please consider the impact you can make for people in need.
It’s the beginning of the month, which means a new batch of monthly specials* from Mountain Rose Herbs!
We’re thinking about ordering Meadowfoam Seed Oil and Hibiscus High Tea… what catches your eye?
* Links in this post are affiliate links, meaning that when you follow them and make a purchase from Mountain Rose, your cost is the same but we receive a commission. Thanks in advance :)
Continuing with our yarn-love theme, two of our soaps have been featured on the Mastering the Knits podcast – and they are also hosting a giveaway!!!
Head over to their website for a chance to win a free bar of Lavender Silk or Woodsy Lavender soap… yummmmm.
Check out THIS feather in our cap!
Thrive Handcrafts is now an official supplier for Wild Birds Unlimited, a cheery little bird- and nature-supplies shop with almost 300 locations in the US and Canada!
I’ve had this post on my mind for a long time, and I’ve never taken the time to sit down and type out all the reasons. I still don’t have the time, but I will make a quick policy statement, and share a video that illustrates my reasoning.
The policy: Thrive Handcrafts does not and will never knowingly use palm oil in any product.
Here’s the video… I hope ;) I’ve never done a video embed so this may take a few tries.
Post by Alain Compost .